Posts Tagged ‘Stuffed Spanish Onions’
4 Spanish onions
1 large tomato, skinned
100 g/4 oz breadcrumbs
1 x 5 ml spoon/1 tsp mixed herbs
salt and freshly ground black pepper
25 g/1 oz Cheddar cheese
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/ gas 6.
2. Trim the roots from the onions and peel off the other skin. Add to a pan of boiling water, cover and simmer for 1 hour. Remove from the pan, reserving 4 x 15 ml spoons/4 tbsp cooking water, and allow the onions to cool slightly.
3. Carefully remove of the onion, leaving two or three outer layers intact and place in a food processor with the mushroom, tomato, all but 2 x 15 ml spoons/2 tbsp breadcrumbs, herbs and seasoning to taste, blend until a fine mixture is obtained.
4. Stuff back into the centre of the onions. Combine the remaining bread- crumbs and cheese and sprinkle over the top of the onions.
5. Place the onions in an ovenproof dish, pour around the reserved cooking liquid and cover with foil.
6. Bake for about 25 minutes.
7. Remove the cover and cook for a further 5 minutes, or until the tops are golden-brown.